Depression Signs and Symptoms
July 27, 2020
Family caregivers are often the first to notice that their loved one isn’t behaving the way they usually do. This can cause worry, fear, and sadness. The individual signs and symptoms of depression may not stand out by themselves. When observed together, however, it can become obvious that depression may be the cause.
Signs and Symptoms
Depression signs and symptoms can include
- Feeling miserable, sad, depressed, empty, irritable or angry
- Losing interest or pleasure in most activities
- Having trouble concentrating or remembering
- Feeling tired or having little energy
- Feeling worthless or guilty
- Feeling anxious
- Sleeping too much or too little
- Eating too much or too little
- Medically unexplained aches and pains
- Abusing alcohol or drugs
- Thinking of death or suicide
What You Can Do Next
If you believe that your loved one is depressed, use our free, anonymous, and confidential screening tool.
Concerned about yourself? Learn how to help yourself.